You’re going to love this Mocha Chocolate Smoothie Bowl. It has all the healthy goodness of a smoothie…in a bowl. You can top with dried fruit, flaked coconut, chopped peanuts, sliced bananas or strawberries, or chia seeds. Gluten-free, dairy-free, no refined sugar added, and paleo friendly.
If you’re anything like me, you’re wondering what this smoothie bowl craze is all about when you can just drink ’em? I mean, why is it even in a bowl and who is drinking their smoothies out of a bowl? These are the questions I want answers to.
Until I made this Mocha Chocolate Smoothie. I can “drink” it out of a glass, but it’s so thick that I usually end up eating it with a spoon.
My Mocha Chocolate Smoothie Bowl was born.
Toss a few things like sliced bananas, a scoop of peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, coconut flakes, chopped peanuts, strawberries, dried cherries, or chia seeds on top and you’ve got yourself a healthy smoothie.
In a bowl.
Thick enough to eat with a spoon and with all the benefits of a smoothie.
Best thing about this smoothie bowl is you can make it ahead of time. I like to make mine the night before so it can thicken overnight and then I pour it into a bowl and add the toppings.
There you have it, a healthy and delicious Mocha Chocolate Smoothie.
In a bowl.
This Mocha Chocolate Smoothie Bowl is gluten-free, dairy-free, no refined sugar added, and paleo friendly. It has all the deliciousness of a smoothie, yet thick enough to eat with a spoon. In a bowl.
- 1 and 1/2 cups soy milk (can use any type of milk)
- 4 Tablespoons PB powder
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 and 1/2 bananas, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 and 1/2 scoops vanilla protein powder ( 6 heaping Tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend on High speed until all ingredients are mixed together and pureed.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Can top with flaked, unsweetened coconut, chopped peanuts, a scoop of peanut butter, dried fruit, sliced banana, dark chocolate chips or cocao nibs.
- *If making for the next morning, pour into an airtight container and place lid on top. Put into refrigerator to chill. In the morning, scoop into a bowl and top with desired ingredients in the morning before serving.
- You can double ingredients for 2 smoothie bowls.
- You can refrigerate for up to 3 days before serving.
- You can add a little more or less of the espresso powder, depending on your taste.
As always, if you do make this Mocha Chocolate Smoothie Bowl, please leave a comment below, or share it with me by tweeting me @sweetspicymonky, or tagging your Instagram with @sweetandspicymonkey, so I can see all the chocolatey goodness you create in the morning. Happy Eating!
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.