We have a “wintery mix” in the forecast. Which means the weatherman pretty much doesn’t know if it’s going to snow, ice, sleet, rain, or a little of all. Really?
I know weather is unpredictable because Mother Nature likes to change her mind, after all, she is a woman. But with all the technology we have available today, you would think they could figure out if it was going to rain, sleet, ice, or snow.
All I know is, it’s cold outside. Not just cold, but bitter cold where it rips through your clothes no matter how many layers you’ve bundled on. I’m so bundled up, I feel like the little brother in the movie, “A Christmas Story”. You know the scene where his mom is getting him dressed for school and his arms stick straight out. That’s what I’ve been feeling like.
So what’s a Cali girl to do when an Arctic Polar front is headed towards the South? That’s right, start making a soup to help warm me up from the inside out.
And for some reason, this Potato and Corn Soup was calling my name. Maybe it’s because I’ve been eating a lot of potatoes here lately or maybe it just sounded good. It really does sound good, doesn’t it? Whatever the reason, I made it!
As usual, I added my own little twist by using coconut milk instead of half and half or heavy cream. I also used yellow potatoes instead of Russet potatoes because they work better in soups and chowders.
Talking about chowders, this soup isn’t going to be thick like a chowder and it’s not going to be thin like a bouillon based soup. It’s somewhere in between. The results, a creamy potato and corn soup that not only satisfies your hunger, but warms you up from the inside out.
Just what I’ve been needing!
So whether you’re in an area that will be getting rain, sleet, ice, or snow this Monday, this Potato and Corn Soup will be your new best friend to snuggle up with.Slow Cooker Potato and Corn SoupRecipe by Julie Murphy @ Sweet and Spicy MonkeyAn easy, slow cooker Potato & Corn soup to help warm you up on cold winter days.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours and 30 minutes
Yield: A whole lotta soup
- 5yellow potatoes, cut into bite size cubes
- 3-12 ouncesfrozen sweet corn
- 1medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalkscelery, diced
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, mashed
- 32 ouncesvegetable broth
- 32 ounceschicken broth
- 1 teaspoonsea salt
- 1/4 teaspoonground black pepper
- 16 ouncesfull fat coconut milk
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker EXCEPT coconut milk.
- Cook on Low setting for 8 to 10 hours or High setting for 6 hours.
- After potatoes have softened, place half the soup into a bowl and let cool to room temperature. For a blender, let contents cool before blending to prevent your blender from exploding the contents. Follow your blenders instructions for blending hot liquids. If you have an immersion blender, you can puree while soup is hot.
- Pour pureed soup back into crockpot and continue cooking.
- About 20 minutes before cooking time is up, stir in coconut milk and continue cooking for remaining 20 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Can serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, chopped green onions, and/or bacon.
Inspired by: April at Momma Loves Food.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.