As the end of August nears, days start getting shorter, and the kids go back to school, it’s only obvious that Fall is just around the corner. Wow, where did this year go? It feels like only yesterday when we were expecting snow and freezing temperatures.
Have I mentioned how much I love fall? If you didn’t know yet, I absolutely L-O-V-E fall. I love everything about it. The cooler days, football season, the smell of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves permeating from the kitchen. And most of all, the freedom to bake! Yes, actually being able to bake anytime I want without worrying about heating up the house. Baking freedom! Can I get a Woot! Woot!
This recipe I’m sharing with y’all is perfect for fall too. And it makes for a healthy start to your day as I’ve combined Matcha powder, quinoa, and chia seeds in my granola. Yes, quinoa in my granola.
I got the idea from a store bought granola I recently purchased. The quinoa gives the granola an extra little crunch.
A delicious and lightly sweetened homemade granola that’s so much better tasting than the store bought types with their heavy sugar content. And you can always personalize it by adding dried fruit, chocolate chips, or sunflower seeds. Your imagination is the limit!
You and your family will also love the way your home smells when you make this granola. If you didn’t know it already, baking smells have such a relaxing effect on people.
So go release some stress by getting busy in the kitchen with this easy homemade granola recipe. It will bring a smile to your face with that first bite. But not just because you know you’re eating something healthy that you made, but because it also taste better than any granola you’ve ever brought home from the store.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 miinutes
Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- 3 cups Old Fashioned oats
- 2 Tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons Matcha powder
- 1/4 cup pure Maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- dash pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by wiping down with a small amount of (your choice) coconut oil, sunflower oil, butter, or non-stick cooking spray. Wipe off any excess oil with a clean, dry paper towel. Doing this will help decrease any chance of burning your granola. Set prepared cookie sheet aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil, quinoa, Matcha powder, maple syrup, chia seeds, and salt. Mix well.
- Spread granola evenly over cookie sheet.
- Place into oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring granola every 5 minutes. It’s very important to stir granola every 5 minutes, otherwise you will end up with burnt granola (just sayin, not like it happened to me or anything).
- Remove from oven.
- Stir in chopped pecans and coconut. Allow to let cool completely, approximately 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Can be used for breakfast cereal, mixed in with pancake mix, snacking, or as a topping for yogurt, ice cream, or fruit cobblers.